Thursday, October 16, 2008

Perhaps a RETRACTION is in order....

So, isn't it ironic that after posting my first blog about the Wonderful Journey of Motherhood, I would have such a frustrating night. I'm trying to get the kids to bed and it takes all I have not to start yelling at them. I ask them to get ready for bed, and after the THIRD request, Logan comes out of his room with his legs through his shirt sleeves and says "I'm ready". (This is funny to me now, but at the time, not so much). All night long they'd been arguing with me or pestering me about something. Hailey overhears me humming a Christmas Carole to my self and asks why am I not humming a Halloween song instead? I'm 28 years old, can't I hum what I want? After getting in bed (Maggie and Logan share a bunk bed), Maggie is putting her feet up on Logan's mattress and pushing up on it over and over so hard, his book falls out of his bed. Not such a big deal except for the fact that the bed is a high quality Shopko variety and they've already broken one of the wooden slats that keeps the mattress from crashing down on her. When I ask her to please not push on Logan's mattress with her feet her reply is "But it wasn't going up so high when he was laying on it". All I want is a simple "yes mom", is that really so much to ask? Logan then can't brush his teeth because his old battery powered toothbrush is out of batteries. Never mind he has a brand new one in the SAME BATHROOM! Hailey can't get ready for bed because Adam dropped the baby's dirty clothes on the floor in front of her dresser. To her credit, the clothes were pretty gross, a casualty of a diaper explosion, and why they were dumped on the floor in her room is another story.
Part of me really wants to raise my kids to have a mind of their own, question authority (except mine of course) and not be mindless followers of the crowd, while the other part of me who wants the children to just do what they're told wants to tell that first part of me to butt out.

I think I'm just tired....

4 comments:

Taryn said...

Thanks for the link- it will be fun to keep up with your beautiful family after all these years. feel free to check us out at
travisandtarynchristensen.blogspot.com

Katie K said...

Oh I love your kids! Your posts are so funny! It's probably because I know and love you kids and your writing is so good that I can see it all happening. And your first post made me cry and I'm not even a mom yet!
I'm at keele4keeps.blogspot.com

Erin. said...

Don't you know that it's a rule of the fates?? If you say something nice about motherhood or your kids, something will happen to make you question your judgement! Don't say it out loud or blog about it!! Ha Ha! Don't feel too bad...we all have days/nights/weeks like that!

Michelle said...

I was feeling VERY tired a couple of nights ago! Those kids are awfully cute!