Friday, April 9, 2010

Yummy!

My friend posted this Rachel Ray recipe for homemade granola bars on Facebook a while back. I've been trying to go more with homemade snacks recently, so I thought I'd give them a try.
I healthified the recipe a bit, and they were SOOOOOO good! The kids gobbled them up and asked for more.

Enjoy!





No-Bake Chewy Granola bars -Healthy version in ( )'s

4 Tbs unsalted butter (4 T coconut oil, but they will be softer w/o butter)
1/2 C packed brown sugar (1/2 c succanat)
1/4 C honey (raw)
2 C granola (I used homemade, but you could buy this)
1 C rice cereal
1/2 C raisins (I did not use this)
1/2 C thin pretzel sticks (don't leave this out, it adds GREAT flavor, and I don't even like pretzels)
1/2 C mini chocolate chips (or you could use carob chips, which I did NOT)

1. In a medium sauce pan, combine brown sugar, honey and butter. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, then lower the heat to med-low until sugar dissolves, about 2 min. (DO NOT over cook, it will make your bars too hard). Remove from heat.

2. Add the granola, rice cereal, raisins and pretzels to the saucepan and fold the ingredients to evenly coat with the sauce. Transfer the granola mixture into an un-greased 9x13 pan and press firmly to evenly fill. Sprinkle choc chips on top and press them gently into the mixture. Let set in refrigerator until firm (about 15 min) Cut into 12-16 bars, wrap individually in plastic for later use.

1 comment:

Candice said...

Those look delicious! I'm definitely going to have to try them!