When I was in sixth grade, I won Rosamond Elementary School's Geography Bee. I won a National Geographic geography game. I got rid of it a while later (I could just kick my self).
Anyway, a while back, a friend of mine sent me an email with a FUN Geography game (a blank map of the US, where you have to label the states in the time allotted). My kids got really into it. Hailey played the game for a few hours the first day, and mastered it. It took Maggie a little while longer, but soon she had memorized all of the states too. Not bad for a six year old who couldn't even read all the names of the states yet.
Hailey and Maggie are both in "Liberty Girls". A "club" that meets bi-weekly and reads Historical- fiction stories of young girls growing up in different time periods of the United States. This semester they are learning about Molly who grows up during WWII. They read the book at home, and then meet to discuss it and do activities similar to what Molly did in the book.
Last week they held a Geography Bee. The girls had to memorize and identify, the seven continents, the 5 major oceans, the 6 main countries involved in the war, which were Allied forces (good guys) and which were Axis forces (bad guys), and the rulers of each of those countries. They both made it through all the questions so they went to a tie breaker round with a few other girls.
Well, short story long, Hailey won third place and Maggie won first!
The winning question was to identify Alaska. I was a little surprise that was the winning question. The girls were able to identify Emperor Hirohito (Japan) but not Alaska?
Oh well.
Good job Maggie!
1 comment:
Way cool! I don't think I would even be able to name everything. They must have been so proud of themselves. And the funny thing is, it probably does have a little something to do with genes. I wonder what else they will pick up... If in a few years they start having the urge to sneak into closed buildings after hours, will know for sure genetics plays a bigger part!
Post a Comment