Afterward we went to Adam's parents house for a beautifully decorated dinner and presents. For some reason, we never remember to take pictures when we are with Adam's family. I feel so bad about it, but I suppose we're just enjoying ourselves so much, we forget to pull out the camera. At any rate, it was a lovely day and a great start to our Christmas celebration.
Christmas Eve morning was spent preparing food to take to my parents house for dinner that night. In the past I have felt a little resentful that I can't really "enjoy" the holiday because I'm cooking. But I didn't feel that way this year. I had read Dickens "A Christmas Carol" to my girls this year and loved they way Dickens described the abundance of food that people were preparing for Christmas dinner. I could see in my mind how beautiful every thing was and I loved how he described the Crachetts Christmas day and how preparing the meal was part of the celebration. It changed my whole attitude and I felt joy in preparing the beautiful Christmas meal we were able to enjoy as a part of our celebration of Christmas.
We went to my parent's house and enjoyed a wonderful meal. We then gathered in the family room to read the traditional Christmas stories: Jolly Old Santa Clause (a favorite from my mothers childhood) and the story from the Bible. Madison got sick (I think she's allergic to olives) and was trowing up so I missed the stories. We changed her clothes, threw them in the wash and wrapped her in a towel so we could open presents. We played games and headed for home at 9:00.
The kids table. (Logan, Kaitlin, Maggie, Elkttra, Hailey Erin and PJ) Every year my mom buys the kids their own little bottles of Martinelli' s cider. It's their favorite part of dinner.
Grandma and Grandpa
Paul, Eric and Katie.
Adam and Madison.
Opening presents. Logan, Kaitlin, Maggie, Shannon and Grandpa.
Madison fell asleep on Haliey's lap before she woke up and threw up every where (poor baby).
Great Grandma Hanson, Jennifer and PJ
When we got home, the kids opened some new pj's (we don't do this every year, so they were really excited about it), wrote our note to Santa, set out the cookies and carrots for the reindeer, and put we the kids to bed. I had spent the previous few nights wrapping everything, so Adam and I didn't have much to do. We laid in bed and watched "It's a Wonderful Life". About 11:00 we decided we should set out the presents. We were so amazed when we put every thing under the tree. We didn't have a lot of money this year so, we felt like we didn't buy much. But when we put it all together we were amazed with the ABUNDANCE God had blessed us with this year. We were afraid it would be a sparse Christmas but it was anything but. The kids had a GREAT Christmas. They got only what they asked for (2 things from Santa) and some clothes and a scooter from mom and dad, and the dollar store gifts they bought with their allowances for each other. But they were SO happy. I realized that I am the one who usually goes overboard and buys the stuff they don't really ask for because I think they'll like it or they will be sad with only a few gifts. But I was wrong. They were so happy and grateful for what they got.
The kids woke up up at 7:00 and we headed out to unwrap presents. Every one opened their stockings and gifts from Santa, and the we took a break to prepare and eat a nice breakfast. After breakfast we opened the presents from each other. I liked spreading it out like that. It kept the kids from just opening present after present and helped them focus more on what they were actually receiving.
The happy chaos begins.
Logan with his LEGO Camper (that's ALL he wanted)
Hailey asked for books and CD's and that's what she got- 14 books and 2 CD's. She was a happy girl.
Maggie asked for American Girl Julie doll and a Fur Real kitten
I finally got new dishes! Now I can have people over for dinner. (my embarrassing mismatched dishes really are the reason why we don't have people over for dinner, not because of my lack of time, or confidence in my ability to prepare food other people will enjoy....I know, I don't believe that either)
Madison LOVED her bouncy horse and baby stroller.
Adam has started a tradition of hiding my presents through out the house so I can open a few more later in the day. I LOVE this tradition.
We did a family puzzle and played our new games and watched our new movies and ate all our junk all day.
It was perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment