The kitchen was filled with the smell of butter and sugar and melted chocolate. It really felt like Christmas. Isn't if funny how affected we are by the way things smell? My sense of smell makes me feel more nostalgic about things than any of my other senses.
English toffee recipe:
1 lb butter
2 1/2 c sugar
1/4 c light corn syrup
1/2 c water
1/4 t salt
1 t vanilla
1 pkg choc chips (although I prefer dark chocolate usually, milk chocolate is the best in this case)
chopped nuts (I use almonds)
Melt butter in lrg sauce pan. Add other ing. except vanilla and bring to a boil over med heat. Continue boiling stirring constantly until candy is 275-285 degrees (or the color of a brown paper bag)
Add vanilla. Pour over 1/2 of the chopped nuts on a large cookie sheet. Sprinkle chocolate on top and spread when chocolate is melted. Top with remaining nuts. Let cool, (the hardest part) break apart and enjoy.
1 comment:
I think this year I'll be brave enough to try it... thanks for posting it! Is it Gradma Florence's or Grandma Hanson? I think toffe is my favorite christams treat. :)
Post a Comment