Friday, August 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Maggie!

Maggie turned seven yesterday, and we had a Luau party.



It took me most of the morning to get stuff set up. We had a splash pool (a kiddie pool in the shape of a whale) two slip-n-slides (one of which was broken before we started and the other which was broken within the first fifteen minutes of the party), a hammock, limbo contest and a pinata. It was crazy windy....like tropical storm Oscar out there, and things kept blowing away.


This flamingo just makes me laugh....



The party is ready to go....



...But how to hang the pinata. Oh yes! Pink yarn of course!

What's that you ask? Will pink yarn be strong enough to hold a pinata? Sure it will!...



Hmm. Maybe not. The solution: kite string. Amazingly strong.



We blasted luau music, and ate fruit kabobs, smoothies chips and skittles, and tons of pinata candy (you know the kind that kids seem to like for some reason, but which holds no interest to me, in other words the perfect kind of candy to have in the house. Zero temptation to eat it.).



Too many kabobs, but cute no?



All of the little eaters just seconds before a huge gust of wind blew the chips, skittle and someones drink every where.



I wasn't sure if the umbrellas were supposed to be opened all the way or not. They fit better partially closed so that's what I did. It's always humorous when people who don't go to bars try to copy (or understand) alcoholic drinks. (Even funnier was when I worked for a Grill in Park City and I had to serve beer. Usually the head took up as much space as the beer! Or someone would ask a question about how the beer tasted....how do you answer that one?)

Back to Maggie's party.
She got littlest pet shop toys-at least four-(her FAVORITE thing in the world), barbies, and some high school musical games. It was a really fun party, and after it was over, and I spent an hour cleaning it all up, I passed out on the couch.

Every year I swear to my self I won't do the big party thing again next year-all of the time and expense - and every year, I give in. The truth is I love a good party and its fun during the actual party, but all of the preparation and cleanup is NOT my favorite! And all that money on stupid little pinata toys that will only end up in someones trash can in a few days seem like kind of a waste, but Maggie had a great day, and that's the really important thing.


I love you Maggie! Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Katie K said...

The flamingo was my favorite part. :)