Sunday, August 16, 2009

Location, location, location!

After our camping trip with the Heaton side of the family, we were so exhausted that were really weren't THAT excited to go again with the Hanson side in a week and a half....that just felt like a lot of camping.
But our wonderful neighbors lent us their little camp trailer, and we had hand picked our camp site at Timpooneke, at the base of Mt Timp last year (reserved it in February) so we knew it would be fun.
It turned out to be the most fun I'd had camping in a long time! (Our other favorite place to go is Moon Lake, but we haven't been for two years because the last time we went, the water was really low and it was muddy and the bugs were horrible....and I was 8 weeks pregnant, I'm sure that didn't help either).
Any way, blah blah, blah....back to camping.
We were in a great location this year (I've decided this makes all the difference). Our camp site was surrounded by TALL pine trees, providing LOTS of shade (so much that we had to keep moving our camp chairs to find what little sun we could while were were reading, or watching movies on the MP3 players-and I don't want to hear how when you're camping it's wrong to watch movies or use electronic devices...do you know how long it's been since I watched a movie in the middle of the day???-at least one that wasn't animated.), and had a beautiful stream running through it, providing hours of free entertainment for the kids, a lovely ambiance and, if we're being totally honest, drowned out extra "background noise" from nearby campers. :)
The baby took naps(!!!) thanks to the trailer and the kids played cards and we all slept so much better (again, thanks to the trailer). There are some people, you know who you are, who might argue that camping in a trailer isn't "real" camping, but there are people who would say that camping near a man made toilet of any kind, or using inflatable air mattresses, generators of any kind, and camping within 1 mile of an established road wouldn't really qualify as "real camping" either, so I don't care! We loved it! When we're rich someday, we definitely want a trailer! ( and all you nay-sayers will want to use it too, you just wait).

Adam and I had to leave Thursday afternoon and drive to Heber for our wards girls camp so we could be there for priesthood night. The Bishopric and high priests are invited (and their wives) for dinner and testimony meeting. We had a great dinner (prepared by the Bishop) and "devotional' and then we had to leave to get back up the canyon before our campground closed for the night. We didn't even get to stay for testimony meeting, which, as those of you who were in YM know, is the BEST part!
We were happy to hear that the kids were well behaved for the aunts, uncles and grandparents will left them with.
We just relaxed for two and a half days. The big boys (Adam and Uncle Eric) played ball with the kids, we read by the fire, watched movies, played kick the can, and went for walks, all the while enjoying the SHADE (this is the other key ingredient to an enjoyable trip we discovered). Some of us (My brother and my Dad) even hiked Timp (the actual mountain not the cave), not together though. Paul went up on Wed after camp was set up. He ran up, and ran down, doing the entire 18 mile round trip in 4 1/2 hours! Dad took a more leisurely pace and went MOST of the way in about 10 hours. I was seriously tempted to go with him (my Dad, not Paul, I'm not suicidal) because I haven't hiked Timp in probably 12 years, but I didn't bring comfortable enough clothes and I would have felt bad leaving Adam alone with the kids for that long.

Madison, her camping chair, and her very own bag of gold fish....life doesn't get much better than this.


"Circle time" for grown ups. (My sisters Katie and Shannon and my Mom)What are they reading? The Rescue, Jane Eyre and The Host


"the ball game" (Uncle Eric and Maggie.....


....Logan and my sister Erin...


...and Adam and Hailey.)


The hammock in the trees: conducive to a nice nap, if it weren't so cold.


The camp site...


...and from another angle.


The kids watching "Alvin and the Chipmunks" on Adams Lap top.


This is how dirty a baby is on the last day of camping.


Logan, Hailey and Maggie in front of the trailer.


Due to lack of photographic evidence, one might incorrectly assume that I'm not actually on these trips, but I am. (Maybe Adam will catch the SUBTLE hint and snap a photo of me once in a while.)

It was a great trip-it could even qualify as a vacation!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Ben wants me to go camping more so he has been trying to sell me on a trailer for years. We finally went and looked at some and I was sold. I would definatly become a camper if I had one. Now I just have to wait to get rich or have my car paid off before we can get one.

Chelsea said...

I love the picture of Mattie all dirty! My boys are that dirty the first 10 min. of camping! I am glad you had fun!