On the way down, Grandpa suggested we stop at a Trout farm and let the kids catch some fish for lunch. It's the same trout farm he use to take Adam to when he was little.
All of the kids were excited to fish, even Hailey, our little environmentalist (maybe she didn't realize exactly what happens to a fish when you catch it).
We caught several in 20 minutes or less (a trout farm is a good place for kids to learn-they don't have to be as patient). This was actually the first time any of our kids had ever fished, which, considering the Heaton family tradition of hunting and fishing, that is quite surprising. Better late than never I suppose. (Hunting is one of those areas in out marriage that we just agree to disagree).
Hailey was the first to catch one. She was even brave enough to hold it. It bled all over her though, so I'd be surprised if she ever did it again.
Maggie was next.
And Logan caught the third -with a TINY bit of hep from Mom;)
The girl who was working at the fish farm (a little family owned business down the hill from the owners home) was this petite little 13 year old. She baited the hook like a pro, and when one of the fish swallowed a hook, she just stuck her finger down it's throat and pulled it out as simply as if she were tying her shoe.
She even filleted them for us! One of the smaller fishes was still alive when she tried to cut into it and it flipped, causing her to cut her self. She just grabbed that fish again, smacked it over the head with the butt of the knife and continued on with her business! It was the funniest thing I've ever seen a girl do!
We made it up to the camp ground around lunch time, ate the fish (yummy trout) and headed over to the lake. The lake looks like it's man made. Very clean with a nice big grassy beach and a huge shallow spot for the kids to play. We ate junk food and fruit and drank Dr Pepper until the baby's crankiness reached an unbearable level (her chosen attitude for the majority of the trip) and headed back to set up camp and make dinner. We roasted marshmellows and I went to bed early with the baby. This was the only night she slept well.
The next day we spent most of the day at the lake reading while the kids played in the water. Sounds relaxing but I was so groggy from the sleeping pill I took the night before (the only way I get any sleep when I'm camping is to take 1/2 a Unisom. The problem is it doesn't wear off for at least 12 hours) that I really didn't enjoy it much. Madison screamed most of the next night and Adam took care of her (he wants me to be fun while we're camping, so he loads me up on Dr Pepper and does his best to take care of the kids for me) but none of us got much sleep any way. We came home the third day and spent the rest of the day cleaning up, putting things away and doing laundry.
Logan, Hailey and Maggie playing in the lake
Adam paddling the kids around the lake in the raft.
A fun trip, but not relaxing by any means.
Let's call it an adventure, instead of a vacation.
1 comment:
I always come home from "vacation" feeling like I need a vacation....it's just how us mom's roll. Too much work is involved with leaving home for three days and you're absolutely right...no one sleeps well. We're much better off calling them "adventures" rather than "vacations"....regardless, it looks like the kids had fun, and really, that makes it worth it (most times:)
Post a Comment