Friday afternoon, we loaded up the van and headed to Manti to see the Mormon Miracle Pageant. (Manti Pageant) with our dear friends and neighbors, the Buntjers. We camped at Temple View Campground (aka Yogi Bear Campground). It's a cute little KOA camp ground with flushing toilets and a pool just down the hill from the temple. We got into town around 6:00 and stopped at Subway for dinner. After our bellies were full, we headed to the camp ground to unload and set up our tents. The sky was clear above us, but a massive thunderstorm was blackening the sky and heading straight for us. Trying to put up a tent in a massive wind storm is not good for our marriage we decided. (too many chiefs, not enough Indians). But somehow, we prevailed and the tent was up with minimal grumbling. (This would not be the first time we've attempted to set up a tent in the wind. Luckily, each time it happens, we get a little less angry with each other.)
We had each been praying silently that the storm would pass since we were going to be sitting out side half the night to watch the pageant. The skies got darker and the wind blew harder, but by the time we were finished setting up the camp, the storm just broke apart and disappeared. It was SO COOL. This was during those weeks of one massive thunderstorm after another, so the fact that it just disappeared was almost unbelievable.
We made we made our way to temple hill with grateful hearts and settled in to wait for dark.
Adam and Jake bought us scones and slushies and the kids munched happily and waited for it to start. The babies had a hard time getting to sleep, but we finally got them settled and sat down to enjoy the show. This is the second year we've gone as a family and both times have been so much fun. It was really cold though and we didn't bring enough blankets. Logan fell a sleep on the grass with one blanket, Madison had another and the girls were sharing the last one. They did not enjoy the cold and they were pretty miserable for the last hour or so. (note to self: next time, bring more blankets).
When it was over we headed back to our tent to settle in for the rest of the night. It was about midnight by then and the kids fell asleep quickly. Adam and I one the other hand, did not.
The guy in the tent next to us was snoring so loud that neither of us could sleep. It took all the self control I could muster not to go running from my tent and shake him in his sleep. I decided to sleep in the car instead. sleeping in the front seat of a car is NOT COMFORTABLE! And I COULD STILL HEAR THE GUY SNORING! I had to cover my ears with my sleeping bag and lie there till 3 or 4 until I was so exhausted, I was finally able to sleep. Poor Adam was stuck in the tent with the kids who kept rolling on him in their sleep and a baby who kept waking up and crying. It was easily one of the top 5 worst nights of our lives.
The next morning we sleepily ate breakfast and cleaned up camp, then took the kids to the pool.
They were so excited to go swimming, but when they jumped in the water, they jumped right back out again.
The water was freezing! The kids and Sariah were brave enough to tough it out but Adam, Jake and I were happy to sit in the sun and watch them shiver.
Then it was time to go. We loaded everything back up and headed for home. We stooped in Santaquin on the way and bought farm fresh ice cream at The Red Barn. Yummy.
We decided since we were already in southern Utah county,and the first pool was such a disappointment, we'd stop at Seven Peaks on the way home.
That was probably the highlight of the day for the kids. It was the first time Adam and I had been there with all of our kids and we were totally paranoid about one of them drowning or getting lost. But, despite the crazy parents, the kids had a blast.
Afterward, we went home and unpacked what we could with what little energy we had left.
Needless to say, we were happy to be back in our own SOFT beds again (almost snoring free...
almost,
but that's another subject).
3 comments:
What a fun trip! Sorry about the not so good sleep! We just went camping with Josh's family. It really wasn't to bad. Though the first night we were there it was SOOOOOO hot. It was so hard to sleep. We had to sleep with pj on, and for one moment I thought about just taking all my clothes off and not caring. I didn't but when you are that hot/tired you think about doing crazy things! The pictures are great, and for the most part I am glad you had a good time!
Oh I think I would kill the snoring guy!!! I have never been to the Manti pagent...we need to go!
Somehow reading my name on someone else's blog made me feel like a bit of a celebrity.
Please, please, no autographs please!
That WAS a great weekend! Thank you again for the invite. My family and I enjoyed ourselves... watching you and Adam set up the tent, that is. And thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with your fam and creating memories!
Post a Comment