Monday, May 11, 2009

Quit Bugging Me!

Most mornings we can be found on our back porch eating breakfast, enjoying the morning sunshine.
Yesterday was just such a morning. Hailey was sitting on a lawn chair when something BIG flew next to her and landed in the grass. Upon further investigation, we discovered a ginormous beetle. It had a shinny green head and brown hairy back, and it was 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch long! That's one big beetle.
Brave Hailey caught it and put it in the 'bug' jar and decided to sketch it in her field journal.
I didn't think much more about it.
This morning she asked me if I'd help her look on the computer to see if we could figure out what kind of beetle it is.
She said she was going to be a "bug-ologist" today. (apparently Entomologist would be the correct term, but bug-ologist works just fine too :) )
So we started searching.
And searching
and searching.
Did you know that there are more classifications of beetles than any other kind of insect?
Yeah, me neither.
Finally I decided to look up Japanese Beetles. Only because Adam suggested that's what it might be. A suggestion I quickly disregarded because, for one thing, it was HUGE and I thought Japanese beetles were small, and also because I thought that was the only kind of Beetle he could think of. (sorry honey)

But, low and behold, he was right! ( He usually is. I really never give him enough credit. )It is a Japanese Beetle, and a great big one too.

I only hope he is alone and doesn't have any relatives close by.


3 comments:

Candice said...

Either we saw that same beetle on Saturday, or he does have some friends close by. They remind me of the June bugs in Henderson. I'm not a fan. Good job raising such brave and inquisitive children. And it sounds like your hubby's pretty smart too. Ü

Olivia said...

uh oh... if I remember right Japanese beetles are super destructive to gardens. Didn't Provo or Orem have a big problem with them?

Olivia said...

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/280296/999999/

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/256021/999999/

Don't let him go!