Disclaimer:
The following post is probably going to get mushy and sentimental. Consider yourself warned.
Yesterday was my birthday. As the Mom I'm kind of used to my birthday, well, holidays in general, not being a very big deal for me. It's more about the kids and making sure they have a good time. Not to discredit Adam for the fantastic job he does making me feel special on many of the holidays, but it's not like the kids decide to take a break from needing things from me- even when it's my birthday. Not that I'm complaning. That's the deal when you are the mom, and I'm perfectly OK with that.
But this year I felt so loved from so many people, I had to take a minute for gratitude. Gratitude to my in-laws for the wonderful meal and thoughtful gift they gave me. Gratitude to my own parents for the time and money spent on dinner and cake, as well as my siblings for a very thoughtful gift. (And to my mom for watching my kids overnight). Gratitude for my incredible husband who planned a WONDERFUL birthday for me. My sweet children for the thoughtful, not to mention expensive, gifts they bought for me with their own money. For dear friends who remembered me through out the day with phone calls and dropping gifts by (or leaving them at the doorstep when I wasn't home). And friends who have planned a fun night out together to celebrate.
I feel humbled to be loved by so many wonderful people. I think remembering someone on their birthday a major way to show them they matter to you. That you care about, and remember them, and I was so touched to be remembered by so many people yesterday. It made me want to BE a better friend myself. To love and remember those whom I love more often.
One of my favorite quotes from the book Little Women is, "Be worthy of love, and love will come." I don't think this applies only to romantic love, but to just loving people in general. We tend to love people who love US. And the love of the family and friends in my life is THE most important thing to me. My goal is to be more worthy of their love, by loving better myself.
So to those of you you remembered me this birthday, thank you. Those simple acts of remembering me meant more to me that you will ever know.
And I love you too.
3 comments:
I'm glad to hear it was such a special day. You are loved because you ARE a great woman!
I'm so glad you had a wonderful day! I thought of you but got so busy with all of the Blue and Gold preparations that I didn't make it over to your house. I do have some yummy peppermint hand soap that I feel in love with for you. I'll try to bring it by tomorrow. HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY!
I love you. :)
Post a Comment