Saturday, November 14, 2009

Halloween

Halloween this year was a three day affair.

It started Thursday evening with the annual 1-800-Contacts trunk-or-treat with my mom, two sisters and brother-in-law who are all employed there.

I spent the afternoon putting the finishing touches on Hailey's costume. We (and by we, I mean, I) made the broom and hat and they turned out really cute. The theme for costumes this year: FREE.

This is the best picture I got of Maddie in her bumble bee costume, with my brother Paul. She actually kept the hood on long enough for me to get a picture!



Hailey, the fabulous orange and black witch.



Logan the BYU fan.



Maggie is "Laura Ingalls" from "Little House on the Prairie".



You can't tell by the pictures, but it was FREEZING! We got through the parking lot as fast as we could.

Paul, Maddie and my Mom



Logan, Hailey and Maggie...with her eyes closed...AGAIN.



The party. They served brownies/cookies, and chocolate milk/juice and gave the kids cute coloring books. It was fun to be with the family.



The next day, Friday I spent the morning setting up for our Activity Days "Daddy-Daughter Monster Mash". It took me and the other leader 2 1/2 hours to set it all up and we didn't even take any pictures! (take my word for it, it was FANTASTIC!)

I got home an hour later than I planned, and threw (literally) the kids in the car and headed to the Gateway for trick-or-treating at Adams office. Again...no pictures. The costumes were less impressive (I know, hard to do) as I didn't have any time to get people ready. Hailey and Maggie got themselves (and Madison) ready while I was gone, and I was impressed with how responsible they were, getting ready on their own. I think Adam was disappointed we didn't look a little more festive. (Sorry Honey)

We got home that evening with barely enough time to throw together some guacamole, get me into my costume and head over to the Monster Mash.

It was a blast! We had all kinds of goodies, dancing, a fog machine, black lights, a gummy worm eating contest (totally gross by the way) and some hilarious costumes by the Dads. The girls made corsages for their Dads, and we even had a back drop for official dance pictures. It was the most fun I had all weekend.

The next day, Saturday was actually Halloween, but I was kinda' Halloweened out by then. We went to the annual neighbor hood trunk-or-treat/block party. It's awesome. Everyone in the neighborhood congregates in the middle of the street, and hands out candy and we have a pot-luck. There was chili, hot dogs, soup, scones, nachos, hot chocolate, cider, doughnuts, cookies and CANDY! Eating yourself sick was the name of the game, and Adam was a champion.


Madison handing out candy



Logan. We ran out of blue hairspray, so he settled for blue face paint.



Maggie was tired of being "Laura" so she decided to go as "a girl who just got out of the shower". (her words)



And Hailey the witch with the upside-down broom.



Logan sitting in the gutter enjoying his loot.



Back-woods Adam joining Logan in the gutter.



After the festivities, the kids and a few of their friends came back to our house for the annual candy exchange (in other words: the older kids talk the younger kids out of the really good candy, by making crappy candy sound really good).

Then we headed to my Moms for my sister's Halloween party. She did such a great job decorating, and we even forced ourselves to taste some of the delicious food she'd spent the past two days preparing. We watched Hocus Pocus, and called it a night.

Whew! I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

2 comments:

Sariah said...

Ha ha, that is just the beginning of the business of the season too! There's a few more months coming up of weekends like that. All fun stuff, but like you said exhausting to think about.
What a fun party weekend! I'll have to look through Jake's pic's to see if we have any of our A.D. decorations, that night was rock'n!

Michelle said...

Your weekend sounded like ours! Is there such a thing as too much candy??? Yes, and it was at my house....it's still not gone!