Thursday, July 14, 2011

Special Delivery

Although Bridger wasn't due until the 23rd, Adam and his Mom both predicted he would come early. My babies never come early, so I was more sceptical. But I started having more regular contractions  the entire week before he came, so I was hoping it was close. I was also really tired and the baby was really low and it hurt to move around much. A few nights in a row I would have contractions every 15 min for a couple of hours and then they would stop. Friday night I was up all night timing contractions they were 8-15 min apart THE WHOLE NIGHT. I thought for sure they would get closer and closer and we would be going to the hospital in the middle of the night. But they never got any closer, and by 6:00 am they were 30 - 60 min apart again.
They came irregularly all day, but we packed our bags, and arranged babysitters for the kids anyway and just waited all day for the contractions to get close enough together to go to the hospital. At around 4:00 they started coming every 5-10 min, so we decided to head out. By the time we checked in at the hospital at 6:15, they were 4-5 min apart, but I was only dilated to a 4.5, so they had me stay for an hour observation.  When the nurse checked me again at 7:15, I was at a 7 and the contractions were 2-3 min apart. I was really worried I wouldn't have time to have the epidural, and I DID NOT want to do natural child birth again. She called the anesthesiologist and he was at a car show! They transferred me into the delivery room and luckily the car show was close by. He got there around 7:45, and I was VERY glad to see him. The contractions by that time were really bad. It took him a while to get everything in properly, but finally around 8:00, it started working and I just laid there praising the anesthesiologist and modern medicine and feeling so relived it had worked in time.
Adam was so great the whole time. He talked me thorough he contractions and held me while I got the epidural. I kept telling him how much I loved him and how great he was. There is something so bonding about going through child birth with the man you love and share your life with.

Since I was group B positive (strep) I had to be on antibiotics for 4 hours before the baby came to give him enough of a dose before he passed through he birth canal to ensure he didn't get sick. I didn't get the IV until 7:30, but since my water had not broke, they just wanted to let the baby stay in as long as possible. The Doctor was there by about 8:30, but the baby's heart beat was going too low during the contractions, so we had to deliver him right away. The doctor broke my water and I stared pushing. the baby was still a little high and it took a while to get him out. But out he came at 8:50, crying and purple. 
The miracle of birth is a beautiful thing, but it doesn't feel, or look particularly beautiful. It's amazing how you can go from utter pain and worry in one moment to total joy and relief in the next. Such a roller coaster of emotions. But he was here and perfect.

7 lbs 2 oz (my smallest baby)
18 1/2 inches



Totally relieved and grateful that he was OK.




 There were fireworks going off for American Fork City's Steele Days celebration, and you could see them out side the recovery room window. Adam told Bridger they were lighting them off for his Birthday.


By the time we got to the recovery room it was almost 10:00 pm, too late for the kids to visit. They spent the night a my sister Katie's apartment, and Adam stayed with me. He hadn't stayed over at the hospital with me since Hailey was born and I'm not sure he was prepared for all of the "interruptions" throughout the night. Needless to say, he wasn't very well rested, but I was still happy to have him there.
In the morning, he went to pick up the kids and bring them for a short visit before church.

Madison came in the room and said, "Where is my baby brover!?"

Logan was the first to hold him. Needless to say, he is very happy to have another boy in the house.


Madison was next, and she wanted to hold him for a good long time.


Then big sister Maggie had a turn. He has the same coloring has her, so I think they look the most related right now.


My girls.

Just after Adam left with the kids, my Mom and sister Shannon came.



We had a lot of visitors in the afternoon, and unfortunately in the business, I forgot to get pictures of any one else. My sister Erin has always had a special bond witht the babies,and when I saw her holding him I wanted to get a picture of them, and remembered to pull out the camera.


He's so handsome.



Adam came back with the kids in the afternoon and although it may have been a little boring to be in the little hospital room, they still managed to keep themselves entertained.  Maggie found this nifty little hiding space.

Adam came back alone Monday afternoon for a while and then brought the kids to pick us up to go home Mon night. They brought me these  gifts; a Willow Tree called "Brothers" (yes I cried. I think that is secretly their goal when they buy me gifts. Lets see if we can make Mom cry)

And some beautiful flowers.

All dressed to go home. (these clothes were spit up on within an hour and a half )


Ready for his first car ride with the puppy Maggie bought for him.

Our five kids. Our family is complete.

This sign Maggie made was on the garage door when we got home. Adam had the car and the house spotless and beautiful.


Madison made us a sign too.

Maggie arranged blankets in the bassinet and Madison let him borrow her special giraffe.

What a wonderful blessing he is to us. I am filled with gratitude for 5 beautiful, healthy children and the honor of being their Mother.

11 comments:

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Congratulations - I'm so happy for your family!! (and glad that the pain that is the last month of pregnancy is over for you)

Rebekah said...

Who knew 12 years ago when we were sitting at good old JCU we would be here, with awesome husbands, five kids and all that life has given us. I am so happy for you :)

Katie K said...

Well I cried. :)

DIAZ BLOG said...

Congratulations Kim....He's beatiful!

Missy said...

He IS so adorable! I think it is so true, it is such a special bonding time with your husband during child birth! I am happy for Logan that he has a little buddy to grow up with. I can't wait for you to see the pics I got of Bridger. You are going to LOVE them!! :)

The Wood Family said...

Congrats! He is so cute. Those were Seth's exact measurements too when he was born :)

Candice said...

He is adorable! And I think he does look like Maggie. Congrats!

Cali said...

Kim, he is sooo adorable. I loved the whole post - your family is so cute. I love seeing how excited they are to have him. Congratulations!

Missy Lee said...

Wow! 5 kids!! Congratulations...I can't think of 2 better people than you and Adam to raise them! You guys are awesome! The baby is a handsome little guy and YOU look absolutely stunning Miss Kim!! No one should look that good after having a baby! You're beautiful :)
On another note, I need to call you soon and talk to you about homeschooling. The kids and I are going to head out to California so we can be with Wade. So, I need to get some info on it, and I thought who better to ask than Kim!? I'm sure you're really busy, so it might be easiest for you to just call me when you have a min. I'd really appreciate it! Thanks Girlie!

Michelle said...

Kim! He is the most gorgeous little guy!, those photos are absolutely gorgeous, they made me teary. I am so excited for your sweet family. Love the Willow Tree, but think it would be more accurate if they had each other in a headlock ;)

Taryn said...

Kim, he is so precious. I just love his little cheeks. Congrats on a beautiful family!!!